My cool cousin John is a baseball prodigy – but sadly, he had a bad dislocation this summer, and had to undergo the same shoulder surgery I had a few years ago.
Because he loves science, I decided to share a crazy story about my microbiome with him. And because I wish I’d had more/better information about shoulder surgery while I was deciding whether or not to have it (eventually, my body made the decision for me), I’ll conclude with a few thoughts about the pros and cons of the surgery.
I recently posted The Very First Thing ALL Divers Should Do When They Get to Bonaire, in which I described the Lionfish Hunting certification course I took while traveling in the ABC Islands. (Eradicating invasive species for the win!)
But I also wanted to give a shoutout to what I thought was the best dive shop in Bonaire – VIP Diving, through whom I took said lionfish course.
If you love scuba diving and you haven't been to Bonaire yet, you are missing out.
I was fortunate enough to be there over the 4th of July this year, and I got to try something I've never done before... Underwater fireworks!
Want to know how I know there is magic in the world?
Because I just returned from Bonaire, where there is magic everywhere.
How to Work Out When You're Lazy - Advice From Someone Who Has NO Desire to Work Out, But Does All The Time
Whether for your health, your fitness, or your looks, many of us want to want to work out... but we don't.
I have the opposite problem (err, "problem"): I have no interest or motivation to work out... yet I do it all the time.
I recently wrote that one great goal for creative types (and aren’t we all creative types?) is to follow the 80-20 rule: consume 80% of the time, and create the other 20%.
This is important for two reasons:
I read the saddest story ever this morning. A beautiful, vibrant woman named Geraldine Largay, or Inchworm, was found dead in her tent, almost two years after losing her way along the Appalachian Trail.
A group of dear friends recently returned from their Grand Canyon whitewater kayaking trip bearing this:
Do you ever miss recess – or even just Diddy Kong Racing? Do you wish there were a winter version of Bay to Breakers? Then head to the mountains with ten (or more) of your silliest friends and play Monkey Ski, Monkey Do (if that’s too much of a mouthful, you could just call it The Great Banana Chase -- or simply Bananaboarding).
YOU WILL NEED:
1 Gorilla costume
N-1 Banana costumes
Skis, Boards, Poles and Helmets for the group
A while back, I attended an Urban Escape and Evasion talk given by Kevin Reeve, founder of onPoint Tactical Training School and former Navy SEAL instructor. He shared the following story (which I’m totally paraphrasing):
A police officer I knew decided that he wanted to learn how to disarm a criminal. So I taught him how – and I instructed him, “In order to actually be able to do this under pressure, you need to practice. Every single day.”
So he did! He went home and he practiced every single day with his wife, who had the patience of a saint. Every day, she would point an unloaded gun at him, and he would disarm her. Over and over and over, for 15, 30, 45 minutes!
And then – lo and behold! – one day, this officer visited a convenience store in a seedy neighborhood. While he was there, an armed robber attempted to hold up the store.
Just like he’d practiced – thousands of times! – the officer safely, successfully disarmed the robber.
But then… he did the strangest thing.
About the Author
Eva is a content specialist with a passion for play, travel... and a little bit of girl power. Read more >
Want to support The Happy Talent? CLICK HERE!
Or Find me on Patreon!
What's Popular on The Happy Talent:
Trending in Dating and Relationships:
What's Popular in Science:
Playfulness and Leisure Skills:
Popular in Psychology and Social Skills: